A sit down with... Liam Kent. Ollerton Town’s Media Man

 A sit down with… Liam Kent

Liam is the man behind the tweets at Ollerton Town CFC as well as all round media man for the club. Being involved with Ollerton for over 15 years.

 


So, Liam, let’s start with a bit about you. Media Man for Ollerton Town Community as well as journalist who has reported on Forest & Mansfield. What made you want to get into this part of football to start with?

To answer this question, I’ve got to answer the next one really. I started watching Ollerton because my dad got asked to go back for his second spell as Assistant Manager. We were spending Saturday’s together and he asked me if I was okay with it. I was just getting into football at the time so it all fell into place.

As for the media side of things, I remember one week Gibbo, an absolute legend of a man who I could talk all day about, wasn’t there and he normally did the reports. The question was raised as to who would do it and I stuck my hand up and the rest, as they say, is history. It was Calverton Miners Welfare away, we drew 1-1. I’ve still got the cutting from the newspaper at home.

Over the years, things sort of snowballed a little bit and then my opportunities at Mansfield Town and then covering Nottingham Forest for a year or two came about through contacts I’d built up, mainly Stephen Thirkill who is the main man for sport at the Chad.

 

Did you start following Ollerton as a fan before taking on media duties?

Yeah, as I say, I had a few months before I did my first report. I still class myself as a fan first and then my commitments come second to that. The Ollerton result makes or breaks my weekend to be fair. And anyone who has seen me at a game, and some of my behaviour, would know that I put being a fan ahead of any attempt to be professional.

I remember being at the City Ground once, covering Forest v Norwich in a game which Norwich won. Naturally, those around me were very glum which made it look even worse when I jumped up in the press box celebrating because Gav King had scored a last minute winner away to Shirebrook!

 

In all your years as Media Man Supporter. What has been your best moment following Ollerton?

Well I’ve been involved for over fifteen years now so I’ve got a lot to choose from. The second year I was involved, we won the league and got to the Senior Cup final. That was a massive achievement for the club and something everyone still looks back fondly on. As a 13/14 year old kid, things like that get amplified. You know, normal people who just turn up to play for a laugh on a Saturday become your heroes.

Getting promoted to the NCEL a few years ago is also right up there. Being that much older made it a lot different to previously. From that season, the away win over Harworth Colliery is right up there as probably my best ever day following the club. If you search for “Ben Bowring Ollerton” on YouTube you’ll be able to see the winning goal. Scenes!


 

With a new lease on Walesby Lane and looking like the future of Ollerton Town CFC has been secured. What are the clubs ambitions going forward?

Getting the lease is massive for us. Everyone who has been to our ground knows about its limitations but we’re now in a position to press forward with securing the funding we need to get a new facility built.

I’m on the committee overseeing the project at the moment and I can say that we’re being as ambitious as we can. We could easily get something half decent designed, funded and built in a couple of years but we want to build something that’ll last and something that will provide the best facility and best opportunities possible for the people of Ollerton.

It’ll take time but it’ll be worth it.

 

Did you feel any frustrations when you saw the league structure this season gaining more long trips to the Humber instead of local derbies against the likes of Southwell & Rainworth?

At the time, yes it was frustrating as the newbies into the NCEL weren’t kind for us, with teams like Wakefield etc. As a club we’ve adapted to it to be fair. The core of our squad is from South Yorkshire which means what are long away trips for the committee and spectators aren’t necessarily as long for them.

There’s a lot of clubs round us, competing for a small group of players. The one bonus for us being in this league is we can cast our net in a different pool.

But obviously it’s not ideal. If we get a decent away trip midweek, I can’t make it because of work and it definitely has an impact on our attendances. Naturally local people won’t look at Ollerton Town v Harrogate and get as excited as if they see us playing Clipstone for example.

 


And would personal preference be another lateral movement next season?

My personal preference would be, yes, but it’s not up to me and it has to be a balanced decision based on all elements of the club, committee, management, players and fans.

 

Back to you. What’s the best part of being the man behind the tweet?

Errm, I don’t know haha I guess it’s just my way of giving something to the club, using my skills to help make us better. I enjoy the creativity of it, summing up moments in a brief word count, and then creating graphics etc. Hopefully people who follow the games through the account get something from it too, and enjoy what I put out.

 

And apart from winning. What makes a matchday?

Why do we all turn up on a Saturday to support our team? You can’t guarantee a win but we keep going. It’s the camaraderie. We’ve got a small but loyal group of fans who travel home and away, as well as interacting with the players. And essentially if I’m not there I’m gripped to my phone for updates anyway so I might as well just turn up and experience it myself!

 

Not just Mr Ollerton but a Leeds fan. Does your commitments to Ollerton affect your ability to get to Elland Road?

Yeah, I hardly go to be honest. I’m a terrible fan. I used to go a few times a season when we were shit in the Championship. My granddad had a season ticket and I used to go when someone he knew couldn’t get.

 

With Bielsa gone & March off to a decent start. Consolidation in midtable the hope for this

season?

I’d take that. We started the season well but then went on a terrible run and it looked like Marsch was a dead man walking. He lost the crowd and once that happens at Leeds, it’s normally hard to turn it around.

Beating Liverpool at the weekend was obviously huge for us, but if we don’t follow it up at home to Bournemouth then we’re back to square one and Marsch will be worried about his job.

 

Footballing Dinner party. Liam Kent & 4 guests dead or alive. Who’s getting an invite?

Oooh. Arsene Wenger and Marcelo Bielsa. I’d just let them talk and listen to their genius. Both would bring a bit of culture to it whilst being the football philosopher’s they’re known for. I’m not sure I need any more guests to be honest. Wenger could translate for Bielsa too which is a bonus.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll have a dinner party with Wenger and Bielsa but then go out after with Ray Parlour and Ally McCoist. Get ready!

 

Your All time Ollerton Town 5-a-Side Team?

1 Keeper:

Levi Owen.

Injured at the minute but a terrific shot stopper and a consistent performer. I’m sure he’d say he’d be able to do a bit outfield too if needed. Plus, his family have done an amazing job helping me out over the past few years so Levi gets in just for them.

1 Defender:

Jordan Schofield.

Absolute Rolls Royce. Good on the ball and made defending look easy. Was a close call between him and Brandon Shaw but Schoey gets it purely because he wore a headband and would bring some continental flair to the team.

2 Midfielders:

Jamie Allan.

Skipper. Would be the fittest one in my team which is probably still true now to be fair. Would get about and get stuck in and always had a goal in him. A good mate too but I won’t take accusations of bias.

Liam Kent.

Is this cheating? There’s a lot of different options I could have gone for. Sam Stretton, Ricky Chambers, Ashley Grayson, Lewis Bingham. All would bring a lot to the team and would make this a formidable 5-a-side team. But I’m chucking myself in. Think I’d be the only left footer? So, let’s say I’d be bringing balance to it.

1 Striker:

Gav King.

Would have been harsh for me to not put Gav in here given his record for us. In 5-a-side you need someone who is going to stick it in the back of the net for you and there’s not been any better than Gav. Though there’s always a chance he’ll leave so I’d have Dean Hankey as first reserve.

I’m happy with that. I’d be a massive weak link but if I went for one of the other options, it would take a very strong team to beat it!

Back to Ollerton. In an ideal world. Where with all the excitement and security of the

lease. Where do you see Ollerton Town Community in 10 years time?

As I said before, we’re being ambitious with what we’re looking to achieve down at the ground so the next ten years should be a very exciting time. Hopefully we’ll have a fantastic new facility built, women’s football and kid’s football back down there, and three figure crowds down there every week.

I don’t care what level we’re at too much, if we can achieve all that then we’ll be on the right path.


Finally, Liam. If you could report on 1 game from the past. Which would it be? and how would the monumental tweet go?

I guess I’d have to say the ’66 World Cup final, though that feels a bit cliché. Purely for that Hurst goal.

“Some people are on the pitch…” will never be topped, but maybe something like:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

HURST!

GAME OVER.

ENGLAND ARE WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!


A huge thank you to Liam for joining me and I guarantee should you ever visitor Ollerton you’ll get a friendly welcome

If you would like to feature on “a sit down with…” don’t hesitate to get in touch as we all have a football story to tell

Look out for “In profile” a shorter interview series coming out soon

Until the next one

Peace 

Luke@PL2NL