A sit down with...Paul Phillips. Ex Ashton United, Buxton & Matlock Town Manager

 A sit down with...

Paul Phillips, ex Ashton United, Buxton & Matlock Town Manager & player for the likes of Droylsden, Buxton, Marine & Ashton United. 

Paul during his time at Matlock

Firstly Paul, thank you for taking time to speak with me and telling your footballing story 

Paul is well known through non league especially in the north. Paul racked up over 700 senior appearances in his playing career having played for the likes of Buxton, Droylsden, Stalybridge, Marine & Ashton United as well as Manager of Ashton United, Glossop NE, Stalybridge, Buxton and most recently Matlock Town.

 

Firstly, Paul with your playing career. Where did you start out as a player and what did you learn most as a young player?

I started out playing for Droylsden juniors at the age off 8 then joined Manchester Utd from 10 to 16. Main thing I learnt was you get out what you put into football and that lesson still stays with me to this day  

 

And were there any recognizable names you played with while at United?

I played at United with Wes Brown, John Curtis, Michael Clegg, Richie Wellens

 

In 2007 you were part of the Droylsden side that won promotion to the National League as champions. How good was that side?

The Droylsden side that won the title in 2007 was the best side I’ve seen in non league circles character ability winners and most off all a great group off Mancs and Scousers! Jimmy Kelly, Terry Ferns, Carl Ruffer, Gary Burke & Jodie Banim absolutely top lads who I still speak to 

Paul in goal for Droylsden

In non league terms the greater Manchester and the north west as a whole has always been hotbed for football. What do you think makes the standard so high locally?

Yes, for me the north west is a great location to recruit talent I think that comes down to many under privileged boys growing up in areas where football is a religion and a real get out from for most a hard up bringing!

 

You left a successful spell at Ashton United to Stalybridge who at the time were National League North. How did you find the step up from Northern Premier League to National League North?

The step up from Ashton to Stalybridge was a hard time as we had inherited a club that was sinking quick unfortunately and in hindsight was probably one off the worst decisions I made as a manager to leave Ashton after so many successful years on a budget that was one off the smallest in the league! But with a group that again was winners and a great group! The step up wasn’t a problem the problem was the players we had just weren’t good enough for the level unfortunately.

 

You left Buxton in November 2019 and took over their great rivals Matlock Town in 2020. Did you feel that you needed to hit the ground running to get The Gladiators fans on side?

When I left Buxton, I had so many issues away from football the managers role had Been neglected at Buxton and that’s just not me! When I joined Matlock, I knew if I was underperforming that would be the first thing thrown at me! Luckily enough the COVID pandemic curtailed the first season and that give us time to build a solid base off very good hungry players who knew what we expected and set their standards high

Paul during his Buxton days

Your time at Matlock recently came to an end. After getting into the playoff last season. Are you now looking at taking a break from management or looking to get straight back into it?

I’m looking to get straight back into management, but it has to be the right fit! As I’ve said when I left Matlock the club as to match my ambition and the same vision but I’m hoping that club comes up sooner rather than later


Footballing Dinner party. Paul Phillips & 4 guests dead or alive. Who’s getting an invite?

Dinner party guests

1. Duncan Edwards – never seen him play unfortunately but my Grandad said best United player ever 

2. George Best – he’d bring the lovely ladies

3. Adrian Doherty – The best talent I ever seen at youth level and a player that would off gone on to be one off the best in the world 

4. The Boss Sir Alex –  The bloke that made my childhood even though he released me at 16

 *Luke just interjecting here about Adrian Doherty. Oliver Kay wrote a fantastic book called "forever young" which is a fantastic read which I would highly recommend for anyone interested in football books  

I’m going to change this question. You’ve got to field two 5-a-side teams. 1 you’ve played with and one you’ve managed?

1 Keeper,

1 defender

2 midfielders

1 striker

5-a-side team I’ve played with

1 Stu Coburn

2 Neil Whalley

3 Jimmy Kelly

4 Jodie Banim

5 Chris Denham

 

5-a-side team I’ve managed

1 Joe Young

2 Jay Gorton

3 Ash Young

4 Jodie Banim

5 Martin Pilkington

 

Paul with Striker Martin Pilkington

We both support the same team, so I must ask. Is Erik ten Hag the right man?

For me eth I’m hoping is the right man I actually wanted Poch but from what I’ve seen he’s really impressed me but time will tell recruitment again all levels is the be all and end all so I’m hoping he gets the backing and the time to prove he can put us back where we belong

 

With a thank you for your time. If there are any potential chairpersons reading this. What is Paul Phillips managerial philosophy?

Any chairperson reading This I’m a winner a manager that demands high standards throughout the club on and off the pitch! And a manager that’s wears his heart on his sleeve sometimes too much! But I’m open honest and approachable and always learning and willing to receive good advice. 


Thank you for your time and the fantastic answers to my questions Paul. I look forward to us crossing paths and I hope to see you back in the dugout soon. 

For everyone reading. A huge thank you as well and I do hope you have enjoyed Paul's interview. Anybody in football you would like to see feature. Feel free to put them forward and I will ask the question. If you want to feature yourself please do get in touch. We all have our own football stories to tell. I'll be honest I love researching and making these articles too. 

Until the next one. 

Peace 

Luke @PL2NL