In Profile... Luke Cairney of Poole Town & Army & Combined Service FC

In Profile... Luke Cairney of Poole Town & Army & Combined Service FC




Name: Luke Cairney

Position: Goalkeeper

Current Club: Poole Town, Royal Engineers, Army & Combined Service

 

Previous clubs: Burnley youth, Andover Town, Farnborough, Hungerford

 

Team supported growing up? Always been a Burnley fan 😂🙌

 

Childhood hero? David Seaman guys got great hair and one of England’s best ever goalkeepers

 

Biggest influence? My family supported me throughout they always got my back

 

Favourite current player? Tony Lee absolute beast up front scores for fun can’t drink thou 😂

 

Best ground you’ve played at? Has to be at Nottingham Forest in front of 20,000 fans against the German army what a day that was!

 

Best friend in football? Keith Emmerson what a guy been playing military football with him for many years now love playing with him such a good defender even better bloke.

 

Best player you’ve played against & why? I have played with him as well James Constable ex Oxford United what a player strong great at holding the ball up fantastic guy as well

Footballing Night out You & 4 others. Who’s getting an invite? The first one I’d say one of my best pals Nathan Franks, lovely lad great on the drink always had my back been playing football together for years terrible at pool thou 🍺

Next is Craig Stevenson another close friend of mine the guy loves a Guinness can never catch up with him on rounds and takes the piss out of everyone fantastic leader on the pitch he’s a proud Scotsman and can hardly hear what he’s saying thou crap banter 😂.

The third man I would say is a guy called Alex Wright Aka Scal the best left footed player I’ve ever seen.

And finally, the last one, I’d have to say my brother awful at football but loves a beer hardly see him so it’s great to have a couple with the big man when possible

Your All time 5 a side team of players you have played with? 


1 Keeper: - Keeper wise played with some unreal ones but I have to say a guy called Lovey great attitude in training the guys hands 🙌 I’d trust him catching my kids 😂 and his kicking was a joke the distance he got was hard to watch cause I couldn’t do it 😂 but most importantly great human being to be around


1 Defender: - I’d have to say Keith Emmerson, over the years playing with him for so long. the season when we was at Hungerford Town he was the main guy week in week out bullying strikers so strong and would find anyone on the pitch fantastic player lucky to play with him. I also have to mention these lads, pads, Farks, Stevo, Tara, MAX who’s at Inverness now, whisk, Spetchy solid defenders and there gonna probably kill me for not picking them 😂

2 Midfielders: - Sam Atkinson absolutely loves a Greggs but what a player personally I don’t know why he’s not pro probably cause of his diet he’s range of passing is one of the best I’ve seen

The other would be Jake Gosling Gibraltar international and scored against Germany ex pro 😂 left foot wand one of the best players in the forces guys a joke great lad as well

1 Striker – Have to mention some lads here. Constable, scrimshaw, Tony lee, Toby, fletch

But I’m gonna go for Ryan Seager at Hungerford he was always living of scraps really scoring from the half way line was a joke and in the box he’s deadly had a great time playing with him he’s at Dorking now scoring for fun great lad as well ❤️



Best moment of your career? Was when I was at Hungerford the underdog mentality we was written of week in week out the joy of winning in front of big crowds loved every minute of my time there smallest budget with the best manager in the league we feared no one. Was expected to be relegated but flirted with playoffs all season

Go to initiation song? Robbie Williams angels 👼 classic

 

Pre match meal? poached eggs 2 slices of toast with grated cheese on top

 

Messi or Ronaldo? Messi for me

 

So with your military football service. How often do you play? And what other sides do you play against? Other British military sides or other nations military sides? So for the army we play against the navy and the RAF once a year like a mini league in March to see who is top dog really lol 😂

And with the combined service it’s all the best players from the navy Raf army combined together

And looking at the combined services side. At its best what step do you think they would compete at in the pyramid? National league south maybe national league all most of them are ex academy players or ex pros

Finally, with a thank you for taking part and your military service. Is it hard being a serving soldier alongside a semi pro footballer? It’s so difficult sometimes your out in the field and can’t play which is frustrating but I do my best for the club and pre warn them when I can’t play so they can plan ahead


Thank you Luke for taking time to answer the questions above and best of luck for what's left of the current season and the ones going forward. 


If you’re a player reading this and would like to appear on the blog. Please just drop me a message as I would love to feature you. 


Until the next one


Peace 


Luke @PL2NL