A sit down with... Andy Stokes, the voice of Meadow Lane

A sit down with... Andy Stokes, the voice of Meadow Lane



If you have been to Notts County's Meadow Lane ground in the past few seasons, You'll have heard Andy's voice on the speaker system. I "sat down" with Andy discussing how he became the voice of Meadow Lane, How a matchday looks for a stadium announcer, Wembley playoff final & much more! 


Firstly, how did you get the job of stadium announcer and become The Voice of Meadow Lane?  

Since 2012 I have been a volunteer at the club. First starting off as photographer for the youth team, then after a few years covering some events at Meadow Lane, and on a match day taking players to meet sponsors, taking photos. As covid hit and matches were going to be played behind closed doors, there was a limit on photographers, and sadly I was down the list. But an opening came for up for the stadium announcer. The club asked me if I would like to do it. I’m no stranger to holding a mic, so took them up on the offer, and made the position my own. 


With a look behind the curtain, what does a matchday look like for you? 

Matchday can start days before with having to plan the music. But on a matchday, I normally get to the ground 2 to 3 hours before kick off. Check the mics and scoreboard are working. Go into the office to pick my script up and run through it with the media team and the commercial team. We do a kids relay race and fans crossbar challenge at half time, so we make sure all the details are correct, and add any last minute requests. Then back up to my box, cup of tea and a read through the script again, and check the team news. Build up starts 90 minutes before kick off when the turnstiles open. Music on, fans messages read out, forthcoming match info read out. 25 minutes before kick off, I really turn the music up to get the stadium bouncing, the introduce the teams onto the pitch, reading out the Notts team one more time. Once they kick off, I can relax a little, just keeping an eye out for the goal scorers and substitutions so I can read them out. Half time is all the messages again, and commentating on the half time events. When the match has finished, it’s off to the bar when the stadium is empty for a well earned beer!! This season, not only are we back in the Football League, but we have a brand new sound system at Meadow Lane, so we are hoping to replicate some of what I did at Wembley, by being on the big screens.



You were on the mic for the play off final at Wembley. Firstly how excited (or nervous) were you for that game and secondly will it go down as you best day on the mic for Notts? 

Both excited and nervous. It’s not everyday you get to put on the club tie and represent your club. Nerves only kicked in when I went in for the rehearsal at 11am. That was when the enormity of the occasion hit. I have been to Wembley before as a photographer for Notts County Ladies, and I thought I could sit back on that, but how wrong was I. It all went well, in fact better than that. As I was walking back to the dressing room area, I had a message off a friend who is a commentator on BBC Five Live, and all it said was “Mate I can’t tell you how good that was!! Absolutely smashed it” That made me turn round, look over at the Notts fans, and think to myself “what have I just done”

A tough question though, will it go down as the best day on the mic……I only had about 8 minutes. To be at Wembley, yes, it was good, but our first home game back in the EFL against Grimsby was a brilliant day as well. 



Taking Wembley out of the question. Which being The Voice of Meadow Lane. What games/moments stand out most so far? 

As I have already mentioned, our recent game against Grimsby. Our brand new sound system was in full swing, and people could actually hear me!! Being able to announce a record breaking National League attendance against Yeovil back in November 2022 was just showing that the club was moving in the right direction.


You're a Notts fan, so a look at the fan behind the mic. All time top 5 favourite Notts players and why?

Over 40 years have been a fan, so a lot to choose from. Straight on my list and at the top will be Mick Leonard. A goalkeeper in the 80’s as I was growing up, and someone I always wanted to be like. I can now call him a friend, which was weird at first!! The other 4 would be Tommy Johnson, Jim O’Brien, Rachid Harkouk and Mike Edwards.



Looking forward to this coming season. Whether it be as a fan or the man on the mic, Notts back into the football league (where they belong) What are you looking forward to most?  

I am looking forward to seeing some great football, the Luke Williams way. Having run close to Wrexham in a record breaking season in the National League, it will be good seeing us against higher opposition. That’s no disrespect to anyone in the National League, as it was a good league, and a lot of friendly people, being on the Nottingham Hospital Radio commentary team for Notts away games, some media area’s were interesting. I will be happy with a top ten finish this season, anything else will be a bonus.


Thank you Andy firstly for your time and secondly a really insightful interview with a look behind the scenes at Meadow Lane. 

If you would like to feature on a future interview drop me a message on twitter and I would love to share your football story through the blog. We all have a footballing story to tell and whether that be through the longer form "A sit down with..." or the shorter "In Profile" there's a blog for everyone.  

 Until the next one 

Peace 

Luke @PL2NL