In Profile… Liam Hughes of Worksop Town

In Profile… Liam Hughes of Worksop Town



Name: Liam Hughes AKA “HUGHESY”

Position: Striker

Current Club: Worksop Town


Previous clubs: Scunthorpe United, Cambridge United, Inverness CT, Barrow A.F.C., Guiesley, Billericay, Darlington, Gainsborough, Stratford, Bradford Park Av, Frickley, Matlock. 


Team supported growing up? Man United but follow Villa now. 

 

Childhood hero? Probably my old man tbf just so hard working, always supportive and did everything he could to make my dreams happen. 

 

Biggest influence? Same as before probably my dad, drove me up and down the country, training matches and helped me as a person and as a player. Cold wet windy nights 100+ miles and I would still see him stood watching me play. My whole family are the same so I would say Deffo my parents. 

 

Favourite current player? Tough one but probably Haaland. Unplayable, goals, assist just an absolute machine. 

 

Best ground you’ve played at? Wembley or Celtic park. Wembley because I scored and we gained promotion and Celtic park because of the atmosphere. 

 

Best player you’ve played against & why? Either Van Djik when he was at Celtic or Michael Carrick. 

 

Best friend in football? Be unfair to name just one as over the years I’ve made life long friends. So many good people along the way from across different clubs so I’m sitting on the fence for this one 😂

Footballing Night out You & 3 others. Who’s getting an invite? Oh god probably the worst person to ask this question to as it often gets very messy so I tend not to go out much anymore. Plus I couldn’t pick just 4. The more lads the better 🍻

Your All time 5 a side team of players you have played with? 

1 Keeper: Chris Maxwell - great technique and shot stopper, international call ups for wales and playing at a great level. 

1 Defender: - Kevin Roberts- I don’t think I ever saw him get beaten 1v1 or in the air. And a top lad. 

2 Midfielders: - Sam Wedgbury - anyone who has played against or with will tell you just how good this guy is on and off the pitch. 

Luke Berry - goal scoring midfielder with an engine. Had many good memories with bezza

1 Striker – Ross Hannah - one of my best mates in the game and if you need a goal you’d lump all you have on him notching 



Best moment of your career?
 
Promotion with Worksop or scoring at Wembley 


Go to initiation song? So many I’ve done hard to choose. Bohemian rhapsody.


Pre match meal? Eggs beans and toast

 

Messi or Ronaldo? GOAT Messi won everything there is to win


One of the best goal pictures on Twitter and its been used a lot this season! 

39 goals & counting & league champions wrapped up in March. On a personal level. Just how fondly do you think you’ll look back on this season with Worksop? Honestly it will stay with me forever. The lads, the staff and the fans. The club honestly has been a pleasure to be a part of and that shows on the pitch. Still more left in me yet and I aim to continue what I have started here. More goals more trophies and getting this great club back to where it deserves to be.


Thank you Liam for taking time to answer the questions above and congratulations on winning the league & promotion with Worksop Town. When I’ve had the pleasure of watching you this season. You & the whole side have been unplayable. 


If you’re a player reading this and would like to be profiled. Please just drop me a message as I would love to feature you. 


Until the next one


Peace 


Luke @PL2NL